Monday, June 19, 2006

Gr. Argh.

You know what I hate? I hate when Americans get upset when they hear someone speaking Spanish. Just because they are in a public place and are speaking another language does NOT mean they are illegal immigrants. It also does NOT mean they are going to take your job in the workforce because of status quo. Oh, and here's the WORST. It DOES NOT MEAN they are talking about YOU!

Here is how I will prove it. Have you ever visited another country? Lets say France for instance. You and your family board a plane and go to another country where English is not the first language. Now, did you (as an American) learn to speak French fluently BEFORE entering said foreign country? When you were out in public, visiting the Eiffel tower, did you mutter things like, "Ah, tres magnifique!" (This is the part where you say no.)

See, we as Americans are very spoiled. And we're also extremely rude. We expect people to learn our language (which btw is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn) before entering our country, no matter what the reason. We expect so much, yet the majority of Americans do not return the favor. When visiting a foreign nation, we scowl when things are written in another language on packages, frown at the numerical system, and curse (out loud) when the monetary system is hard to understand.

I defend the right for people in this country to speak a different language. That being said, I don't think a business owner should have to post signs in another language other than English on their doors. If you want to work in this country, you should at least be able to communicate with your employer. That is nothing more than common sense.

When I see a person on the street, and they are speaking in a language other than English, it does not offend me. I do not get tense and automatically assume they are talking about me. If I were to visit another country and was speaking to my husband in English, I would hope that the people around me felt the same. When I receive an instruction manual, and it's printed in English and Spanish, it doesn't offend me. Why would it? Why should I CARE if the manual I'm holding in my hands can help more people than myself? That is a good thing, isn't it?

I have rambled a bit here, but all I'm trying to get across is this...This should not be a matter of racism, it's simply a matter of common sense. America, I'm begging you. Get a grip, get the red off your neck and open your mind.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home