Monday, August 14, 2006




And we fondly referred to it as, "Ham and Lentil Mush."

So my stew started out well enough, as the above picture speaks for itself. Ham, red lentils, cabbage, carrots, and an onion to be set on low for 7-9 hours in the crock pot. At hour 4, I decided to lift the lid and check out the progress and was surprised to find NO LENTILS in my stew! Instead, a very thick yellow-ish broth that reminded me of butternut squash and tasted like beans. My lentils had dissolved, along with the cabbage and onions, leaving only ham and carrots as the non-mush substance. I went to work trying to fix the soup, and ended up adding potatoes and some leftover turkey from another dish I made over the weekend. The end result? A soup that tastes just like ham and bean, but lacking any obvious beans. I am planning to try the recipe again with a more substantial green lentil, but until then...I am faced with a mushy potato and ham soup.

On a positive note, I FINALLY got a bread machine! I bought it at a yard sale for $3, and have already gotten my money's worth. I made a vanilla almond granola bread with honey and oatmeal. Oh my God, the excitement of watching the dough whirl around the blade! You were supposed to wait a half hour before cutting the bread, but we had it sliced and buttered within seconds of that final beep. *giggle* Good stuff, homemade bread. I cannot WAIT to make homemade cinnamon rolls!

Comments:
Hello! Sorry about the lentil mush. . .it probably wasn't the kind of lentil but the time you cooked the lentils. I always add them last, and cook them until they are just soft. Yay about the bread machine! Boy, am I looking forward to the next brunch! Hee-hee!

Here's a blurb about lentils:
To cook lentils, simply pick over to remove debris or shriveled lentils, rinse, and drain. Cover with water or broth and boil for 2 to 3 minutes (to aid in digestion). Reduce heat and simmer until tender. Depending on the variety and age, cooking time may take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour.

Later, 'gater!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home